In this role you will enjoy great freedom to combine quantitative and qualitative research skills to form your opinion where currency crosses are headed. As currency moves are driven mostly by macroeconomic, (geo) political and monetary policy developments, it is important these topics spike your natural interest.
A large proportion of your day will consist of reading financial news and background articles from sources like Bloomberg, Financial Times and other international media outlets and subsequently communicating your insights.
A touch of creativity is definitely appreciated in this role as it will help you to come up with interesting angles for currency insights. Moreover, a catchy and accessible way of communicating these findings to main stakeholders (external clients, media, and internal audience) will be of great value to succeed in this role. Most of this communication will take place in written form, though as you gain experience, presenting for broadcast media is certainly an avenue you will be encouraged to expand into.
The importance of exceptional communication skills will supersede your need for quantitative work in the start-up period in which you get more acquainted with your daily responsibilities. However, there is ample of room to branch deeper into quantitative research projects once you are on boarded.
Finally, the role provides a great opportunity to build a reputation for yourself as economics expert by having your insights covered in (inter)national media like Financieel Dagblad, New York Times, Reuters etc.
In your first months, you will receive training in the noble art of FX sell-side analysis, while you will also get acquainted with using the Bloomberg terminal. Ensuing, you will enjoy media communication trading and any other training we together consider necessary for your professional growth in this role.
- Providing analysis of foreign exchange markets for the front office, for clients, and for media. Regular ad hoc analysis of events such as data releases, central banks.
- Keeping the front office informed through participation in team meetings and calls.
- Providing bespoke analysis on themes and topics as directed by Head of Market Analysis.
- Translation of English content into Dutch.
- Contributing to ongoing long form research and forecasting by the analysis team.
- Building macroeconomic and econometric models for understanding developments in relevant economies and financial markets.
- Developing strong opinions on current and future developments in FX, central banks, economics, supported by evidence.
- Develop, with support and training, knowledge and confidence as a market analyst capable of providing commentary for media and clients.
- During the training period the objective will be to become familiar with foreign exchange and global markets and economics in general, and be taught how to formulate engaging opinions and research for media and the wider public.
- Media training, interview techniques, training in writing interesting and well supported opinion pieces for general consumption.
- Head of Market Analysis, Sales, Dealers, board of directors, other members of the analysis team.
- Our Dutch communications agency and Dutch media, after training.
Qualifications (Essential (E) or Desirable (D)
- BSc Economics or Political Science degree (E)
- MSc Economics or Econometrics (D)
Experience & Technical skills
- Native or Bilingual Dutch (E)
- Professional English (E)
- Professional French or German (D)
- Enthusiasm for and interest in FX markets (D)
- Passion for economic, political, and monetary policy analysis. Opinions on the same. (D)
- Econometric modelling, especially time series econometrics (D)
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to form opinions and articulate persuasively
- Good personal organizational skills including deadline and other time/task management
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to work to close deadlines from:
o Other departments